Saturday, October 24, 2015

Chipping Paint

Am I the only one who finds this beautiful?

Saturday, October 10, 2015

Painted Clothespin Dolls

I painted these little girls a while back with my sister...and apparently they have been hiding in my studio! You can imagine the smile on my face when I was sorting through some things and discovered them. :) They are so happy to see daylight again...and little hands will no doubt take them on some grand, new adventures!

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Small Hearts on Canvas

Here are a few little mixed media experiments on 2.5" x 3.5" canvases. Sometimes it's nice to just splash a little color around and not worry about it being a major thing! A wool heart on the left, doodling with sharpies in the middle and a free motion embroidery heart on the right.

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Machine Stitched Green Heart

So this heart is the same size and shape of the red one, but it was done in lightning speed. Rather than a lot of hand stitching beforehand, I simply cut a few pieces of a Plymouth yarn called "Passion Nette", tugged a little to distort each one, and then tacked them down to fill in the heart. This yarn reminds me of a fisherman's net with several different types/textures of threads woven together. Remaining holes were then filled in with bits of lace or a few straight stitches. The second picture is after it had been given the free motion machine embroidery treatment. I am auditioning the placement of some threads to couch down or incorporate somehow...

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Machine Stitched Red Heart

This heart began with a scattering of chunky threads and hefty embroidery stitches. The remaining area within the heart was then filled with straight, flat stitches. Then it was taken to the machine for some free motion embroidery, and those first textured stitches really pop off the surface now!

This was a fun, new way for me to achieve some interesting texture! While I do really like the result...it took an awfully long time to do all the hand stitching before I could take it to the machine...so I have an idea to try on the next one...

Thursday, August 20, 2015

My Portrait

Had my portrait drawn today...by a talented little artist! :)

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Dyed Fabrics - Muddy

One thing I noticed from my results of the first dyeing day at Nancy's was that my colors were all pretty vibrant. This time I wanted to end up with more muted/faded colors. I do believe I succeeded!

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Free Motion Owl

As I continue to practice free motion machine embroidery, the inspiration for this little piece actually came from the artwork on a box of tissues! Come to find out, it was designed by Cori Dantini, and you can read more about it on her blog here.

I couldn't have done it without my disappearing ink pen for this one too! I drew a simple outline of the owl on my fabric, stitched over each line, fused down a few pieces of fabric (which removed my lines too), drew in some more detailed lines, and went back to the machine to finish stitching.

It's amazing what an impact those few little tidbits of fabric make! I've gotta do some more of this! So very fun! :)

Friday, August 7, 2015

Painted Fabrics

Nancy also mixed up some dyes with sodium alginate to have a thicker consistency so we could "paint" them on and experiment with another way to use the dyes.

For these I just dipped the tips of my gloved fingers in the paints and daubed them all over the fabrics.

The mixed up paints actually lasted longer than expected, and I was able to use them for several nights this week after the girls went to bed!

Here I tried washable gel glue and washable gluesticks as a resist with the thickened dyes.

This next one is not my favorite. With the thicker dyes (as paints) I tried using different stamps that were made from wine corks and found objects. The goal was to build up a really interesting piece that could be embellished and stitched later. However, I realized about half way through that I was doing stuff with paint that would have been nicer to do with fabrics/threads. So I quickly finished up with the hopes of salvaging it another time. If some day down the road I create something out of this that is worth looking at...I will make sure to post it's "before" picture for comparison. Did I mention it was not my favorite?

After going through the process of trying to create the piece I had planned and envisioned in my mind, however, I was able to switch gears and dye these...a much better starting point for embroidery in the future.

This was a white, linen shirt that had embroidery all over it. Apparently the embroidery thread was synthetic because it did not dye. I found that out from previous attempts to dye other chunks of it, and so I used the stitching as an easy barrier to paint between the lines. Perhaps a future tea bath to soften all the stark white would help it feel more finished? I'm open to suggestions...
For these little butterflies, I just painted the thickened dyes on little plastic cupcake toppers, and pressed each one straight down on the fabric. What a great start for some little free motion embroidery butterflies!
Lastly, I had been given this whitework embroidery piece (with brown border lines), and decided to turn it into a little aerial garden plan. This is simply step one...and by using the paints instead of just watery dye, I was able to get some variation within the background for each little plot. Imagine layering bits of fabrics and hand stitching and lots more texture on top of texture here...

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

My Wedding Flowers

My husband surprised me with bouquet of flowers similar to the ones I carried down the aisle. :) I so don't deserve him!